Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Instant Ragi Koozh | Finger Millet Porridge | Keppai Koozh

Instant Ragi Koozh | Finger Millet Porridge | Keppai Koozh is a traditional, healthy breakfast recipe. It is usually prepared during summer since it has a cooling effect on our body. As for nutritional benefits of ragi,  I need not say  much as you may already be aware that it is rich in iron, calcium, etc. Ragi has low glycemic index and hence it is a preferred  grain  for diabetic people. As a whole, a healthy recipe, everyone should give it a try...
The recipe, I’m giving here is not the traditional one as it does not require fermented ragi dough. Also I have skipped rice in this recipe. Till few years ago, I was not a great fan of this porridge since I am  not  used to  it in my childhood days. But now I eat anything which can make me feel light. My son and hub always have a tough time having this koozh. So I don’t want to make a laborious preparation for making this koozh. Moreover, I don’t like the fermented flavour of koozh. So  I came out with this recipe  which gets finished in a flick of the finger! You can always add cooked rice following my simple recipe here while cooking ragi as elder people in the house won’t allow you to prepare koozh with ragi alone.
Ingredients:
Ragi flour – ½ cup
Water – 4 cups
Shallots – 8 to 10 Nos.
Green chilli – 1 No
Curd – ½ cup
Salt to taste
Method:
  1. Mix ragi flour with a cup of water without forming lumps and keep it aside.
  2. In a heavy bottomed vessel, add the balance 3 cups of water and bring it to boil.
  3. Now add the ragi dough little by little stirring continuously so that  lumps will not be formed.
  4. Stir continuously for about 8 to 10 minutes until ragi gets cooked well. To check, dip your hand in water and touch the ragi dough. If it is not sticky, it means it’s done.
  5. Switch off the stove and allow it to cool.
  6. While preparing the porridge, take the required quantity of ragi koozh, add salt, finely chopped onion, green chilli and curd. Make it to required consistency by adding water if needed.

Your healthy ragi porridge is ready to serve!
Note:
  • If you are very particular in adding rice, you can add rice rava while boiling the water. Allow it to cook completely before adding ragi.
  • The quantity of onion, chilli and curd can be varied based on your preference.

Tags: Ragi Koozh recipe, Summer special recipes, Finger Millet Recipes, Ragi Recipes, Diabetic Recipes, Instant Ragi Koozh recipe, Instant Finger millet Porridge, Keepai Koozh recipe, Millet Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment