Read more ...
Chettinad Kuzhi Paniyaram | Kara Kuzhi Paniyaram | Savoury Paniyaram is a traditional dish and a specialty from Chettinad cuisine. It is ideal for breakfast, dinner as well as a tea-time snack. It has been a practice to use idli/dosa batter, sometimes even left-overs for making these kuzhi paniyarams in many households, including me. But to get the real taste of authentic chettinad kuzhi paniyaram, we need to grind the batter fresh, allow to ferment, do the seasonings and finally make the paniyaram. Ofcouse, idli/dosa kuzhi paniyaram is also tasty but later would be tastier with crispy outer & spongy inner. I’m sure everyone would forget to count the numbers, when dipped generously in some spicy chutney & had on the go.
These kuzhi paniyarams can be prepared both sweet & spicy. Today, I’ve prepared only the savoury version for breakfast and I’m sharing the recipe for the same.
You can also check out these Kuzhi Paniyaram Recipes...
For the Paniyaram batter:
- Raw Rice – 1 cup
- Idli Rice – 1 cup
- Whole Urad Dhal – ½ cup
- Fenugreek seeds | vendhyam | Methi seeds - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Shallots ( Finely chopped) – 4 tbsp
- Green chillies (Finely chopped) – 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves (Finely chopped) – 3 tbsp
- Coconut gratings – 2 tbsp
- Oil – as needed for making paniyaram
- Wash both rice togehther & urad dhal with methi seeds separately and soak with enough water for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours, grind urad dhal & methi seeds into a smooth, fluffy batter by adding little water now & then. When the batter is done, take out in a vessel.
- Grind both rice together into a fine batter by adding water now & then. Collect the rice batter in the same vessel.
- Add the required salt and mix well. Allow the batter to ferment for 8-10 hours. The consistency of the batter should be like thick idli batter.
- When the fermented batter is ready, heat oil in a kadai, splutter mustard seeds, add the finely chopped green chillies, curry leaves & shallots and sauté for 2 minutes till the onion becomes translucent & release a nice aroma. Finally add coconut gratings, sauté for a while and switch off.
- Allow the seasonings to cool. Then add the seasonings to the paniyaram batter and mix everything well.
- Heat a non-stick paniyarakkal and pour ¼ tsp of oil in each hole.
- Take a ladleful of batter and pour into each hole so that each hole gets filled ¾ th with the batter.
- Cook in simmer until the paniyaram gets cooked on both sides by flipping it on both sides.
Chettinad special kara paniyaram is ready! You can enjoy these with any chutney of your choice. I’ve served them with Onion Tomato Chutney.
- Adjust the consistency of the fermented batter to medium between idli and dosa batter, by adding water.
- The left over paniyaram batter can be used for making dosa.
- The same procedure may be followed with regular idli/dosa batter.
- Those who don’t have the paniyarakkal, can deep fry these paniyarams in oil.
Tags: Chettinad special kara paniyaram recipe, How to prepare kuzhi paniyaram batter?, Chettinad special recipes, Paddu recipe, Guntha Ponganalu recipe, savoury version of kuzhi paniyaram, Chettinad recipes, Kuzhi paniyaram with dosa batter, kuzhi paniyaram with left over batter., appe recipe, Paniyaram recipes, Spicy Paniyaram recipe, How to prepare chettinad special kuzhi paniyaram? How to prepare batter for preparing chettinad kuzhi paniyaram?