Kathirikkai Kothsu | Brinjal Gothsu is a South Indian side dish | dip using eggplants|brinjals as a main ingredient to serve as a side dish for idli, dosa, pongal, etc. I like this gothsu with hot steaming idlies or with sponge dosas rather than with any other stuff. The recipe is quite simple; I made it simpler by using pressure cooker. I prefer to prepare this “ÖPOS” brinjal kothsu with fresh, tender brinjals. I’ve used Vellore brinjals in this recipe which are soft, tender & fleshy.
Here we go for the recipe.
Recipe for Kathirikkai Kothsu | Brinjal Gothsu | Easy Gothsu Recipe:
Cuisine : Indian| South Indian
Category: Side Dish
Preparation time :5 Minutes
Cooking time : 15 Minutes
Serves – 2
- Brinjal (cut into small cubes) – 1 cup
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1 No.
- Green chilli (slitted) – 1 No.
- Tomatoes (finely chopped) – ½ - ¾ cup
- Sambar powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Jeera|Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - few
- Wash brinjals and cut into small cubes. Transfer to a bowl with water.
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil and season with the items given “For seasoning”.
- Add green chilli and sauté for a minute.
- Add the finely chopped onion and sauté till it becomes translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and sauté till they become mushy.
- Add the brinjal and sauté until the skin colour changes.
- Add the masala powders and mix everything well.
- Add the required salt and a cup of water.
- Close the lid and pressure cook for 4 whistles in simmer.
- Open the lid once the pressure subsides and mash the contents with a wooden masher.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
Spicy, creamy kathirikai kothsu is ready to enjoy with hot steaming idlies.
- Always use fresh, fleshy brinjals to get creamy gotsu.
- If you prefer more tanginess in the dish, tamarind juice can be added at the end.
- Mash the kothsu when it is hot.
- I like to mash the kotsu coarse like the way shown in the pic.
Tags: Kathirikkai kothsu recipe, Brinjal kothsu recipe, Brinjal Gothsu recipe, Velur kathirikaai recipe, Velur Mullu kathirikkai recipe, How to prepare kathirkai kothsu in pressure cooker?, OPOS brinjal kothsu, Easy brinjal kothsu recipe, side dish for idli, side dish for dosa, side dish for Ven Pongal, Side dish for kolukattai