Vanilla custard ice cream | Ice cream with custard powder is an easy way to prepare ice cream at home without using ice cream machine. It had been years since I made ice cream at home. When Sid was a little kid and exposed to only homemade food stuff, I used to make ice cream, cake, snack, etc at home. Those were the days, whenever I saw him tickling his tongue for any dish, I wanted to try the dish next day. Once he started eating bought out stuff, I stopped making these at home as I didn't want to add more calories!! Last week, he accompanied me for shopping. On seeing the WeiKFiELD custard powder on the shelf, I told him I used to make ice cream for him with this custard powder when he was a little boy. He insisted me to try again as he couldn't recollect the taste. So I bought the custard powder with vanilla flavour.
The procedure of making ice cream using custard powder is so simple but involves a lengthy process. You need some patience as the ice cream mix is to be churned in a blender or using a hand mixer for about 2-3 times to make it smoother. The more you blend, creamier will be your ice cream. Your job will be easier if you have a hand mixer.
The process seems to be much simpler while comparing the task of taking photographs of the ice cream, that too in this hot summer. I could hardly take any clicks before it melted. I’m posting them here.
Here is the recipe for making Ice cream with vanilla custard powder without using ice cream maker. Enjoy making this at home and treat your kids with the home made stuff during this summer holidays.
- Milk – 2 cups + ¼ cup
- Vanilla custard powder – 2 tbsp (heaped)
- Condensed milk – 2 tbsp
- Sugar – 3 tbsp
- Butter – 1 tsp
- Mix vanilla custard powder in ¼ cup of warm milk without any lumps and keep aside.
- Heat 2 cups of milk and bring to boil. Add sugar and stir till the sugar dissolves completely.
- Add the custard + milk mix to the boiled milk and stir continuously in simmer without forming lumps.
- Once the milk gets thickened forming a glossy appearance, switch off. This will take about 5 minutes. By this time, the mix would be in thick dosa batter consistency.
- To this add the condensed milk & butter and mix everything well. Allow it to cool completely.
- Transfer the contents to a freezer safe bowl and freeze it for about 4 hours.
- After 4 hours, scoop out the ice cream in a mixer and blend it nicely. Transfer the contents to a bowl and again freeze it for 3 hours.
- Repeat the churning process for about 2 -3 times in a gap of 3 hours.
- Finally freeze the ice cream for about 8 hours or overnight.
- Take out the box from the freezer and keep in room temperature for about 5 minutes. Scoop out the ice cream in a serving bowl.
Enjoy every scoop of vanilla custard ice cream topped with your favourite toppings.
- If you have a hand mixer, take out the frozen bowl and blend with the mixer in medium speed until the mixer becomes creamy & freeze it again. Repeat for 3 -4 times in a gap of 3 hours.
- Don’t increase the quantity of custard powder as it hardens the ice cream.
- You can increase or decrease the quantity of sugar as per your preference.
- If you don’t have condensed milk, skip and add some extra sugar to compensate the sweetness.
- You can also use fresh cream to give extra creaminess.
- You can use chopped nuts, tutty fruity, cherries, choco syrup, etc as toppings.
- Ice cream can be frozen for a week.
Tags: How to make ice cream with custard powder? How to make ice cream without ice cream maker?, Ice cream using custard powder, Vanilla custard powder ice cream, Ice cream without ice cream maker, How to make ice cream at home without ice cream maker? Creamy ice cream recipe, Ice cream with vanilla custard powder