Preparation time :20 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Difficulty : Medium
Seppankizhangu in Tamil is known as Colocasia or Taro root in English and Arbi in Hindi. My son loves to have any fry/roast for his lunch menu, especially for sambar or dhal rice. This combo definitely wins everybody’s heart . This seppankizhangu roast tops every other deep fry item but I had not known about it for a long time because I was not familiar with this vegetable and it had not been tried at our home. I tasted this vegetable for the first time in Mor Kuzhambu at my friend’s house and it was not that much interesting. When I tasted this vegetable as a roast in some of the marriages and I was very impressed and thought that it was a trade mark secret of marriage cooks. Some two years back, I tried making this roast at home, knowing my son’s interest in deep fry items. It came out very well and from then, it has become a favourite of everyone who tasted this dish.
- Seppankizhangu - 15 Nos.
- Red chilli powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves few
- Crushed garlic – 2 pods
- Oil for deep frying
- Salt to taste
- Cook seppankizhangu along with a tablespoon of salt and turmeric powder with enough water until it gets cooked completely.
- Cool it and peel off the skin. Cut this into small, thin round discs.
- Pour oil in a deep bottomed kadai and fry seppankizhangu in batches in medium flame till it becomes golden brown in colour and crispy enough.
- Remove the excess oil from the same kadai, keeping a table spoon of it , add curry leaves and crushed garlic. Then add required salt, chilli powder, fry for just few seconds so that the raw smell of chilli powder goes off. Now add fried seppankizhangu. Sauté well in simmer till everything gets mixed well, just for 2 minutes.
Your yummy seppankizhangu roast is ready to be served with sambar , rasam, curd or with any variety rice.
- Seppankizhangu should not be over cooked since it will become mushy and your roast will not be crispy.
- You can also cook this kizhangu the previous day , slice it and store it in the refrigerator.
Tags: Seppankilangu roast, Seppankilangu fry, Cheppankizhangu roast, Cheppankizhangu fry, Seppankilangu chips, Seppankilangu spicy chips, Arbi fry