Dindigul Thalappakatti Chicken Biryani | Seeraga Chamba Chicken Biryani ….needless to say it’s every biryani lover’s favourite. Regular visitors of my blog would definitely know that my Seeraga Chamba MuttonBiryani is always on top of popular posts. After realizing that many of the entries to my page are through seeraga chamba chicken birayani (search key word) in addition to mutton biryani, I decided to make chicken biryani using jeera samba today. I have posted mutton biryani in Chettinad style and this yummy chicken biryani in world famous Dindigul Thalappakatti Biryani style. When I prepared this, the entire house was filled with an aroma which made us feel hungry instantly. I made it in a very simple way using pressure cooker and it turned out so well. I would humbly say that my biryani is almost near to thalappakatti biryani and I should also admit that ‘home made’ biryani lies right above the top! If you give a try, you’ll realize what I’m saying is true J
Here we go for the recipe!
For Pressure cooking chicken:
- Chicken – ¾ Kg
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Curd – 2 tbsp
- Seeraga samba rice – 3 cups
- Onion (Big) – 3 Nos (finely chopped)
- Tomato (Medium)– 1 No. (finely chopped)
- Green chilli – 3 Nos.
- Curd – 3 tbs
- Ginger-garlic paste – 2 tbs
- Chilli powder – 1 tbs
- Biryani powder – 1 tbsp
- Pepper powder – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Shallots | Pearl Onions– 10 Nos
- Green chillies – 2 Nos
- Coriander leaves – ¼ cup
- Mint leaves – ½ cup
- Bay leaf – 1 No.
- Cinnamon – 1 inch piece
- Kal paasi – 2 Nos
- Cloves – 2 Nos
- Cardamom - 2 Nos.
- Fennel seeds – 1 tbsp
- Oil -4 tbsp
- Ghee – 1 tsp (optional)
- Clean chicken well in running water , cut it to required size and keep it ready.
- In a pressure cooker, add all the ingredients given for pressure cooking and cook for 3 whistles. Let the steam gets subsided on its own.
- In the mean time, add the ingredients given for grinding and grind to a fine paste using a mixer grinder.
- Also, wash the seeraga samba rice and leave it as such after draining the water.
- Take a pressure pan, pour the oil and wait till the oil gets heated. Add the items given under “seasoning” one by one and wait until all these splutter to get the aroma from the seasoning.
- Add onion and green chilli (just break into 2 or 3) and sauté well until the onion turns brown. Add ginger garlic paste and sauté well till the raw smell goes off.
- Then add the ground paste mentioned above under “To grind” and sauté till the raw smell of the masala goes off.
- Add finely chopped tomato and add some salt so that the tomato will get cooked easily and sauté till the tomato gets smashed well.
- Then add all the masala powders and sauté till the oil oozes out from the masala. Next, add curd and sauté well until the mixture gets glossy appearance.
- Then add the cooked, drained chicken pieces & rice and sauté well.
- Measure the chicken stock left out while pressure cooking the chicken and add water for balance so that it will make 6 cups totally.
- Add required salt. Check for salt & spice at this stage and you can add more if needed.
- Stir well and close the lid. Wait for 1 whistle, then simmer the flame for 3 minutes. Open the cooker after releasing the pressure slowly. Then follow the same procedure as we have done for all other Biryani recipes.
Your delicious, hot, spicy Dindigul Thalappakatti Biryani is ready to serve! I have served this chicken biryani with onion raita, chicken drumstick fry and chicken gravy!!
- The taste & colour of the biryani purely depends on how you sauté the masala. So take care to do this in simmer without burning the masala.
- This would be a spicy biryani since we add green chillies, red chilli powder and pepper corns. So, adjust spice according to your family’s preference.
- You can also add a cup of coconut milk and reduce water accordingly.
- You can prepare this biryani with basmati rice also.
Tags: Chicken biryani recipe, Dindigul Biriyani recipe, how to make chicken biriyani at home, Chicken biryani with seeraga samba rice, chicken biryani with jeera samba, jeera samba chicken biryani recipe, seeraga chamba rice chicken biriyani, jeera chamba chicken biryani, chicken biryani with seeraga samba rice, chicken biryani, chicken biryani with basmati rice, chicken biryani with raita, hotel style chicken biriyani recipe, pressure cooker chicken biryani recipe, Dindigul Thalappakatti Chicken Biryani Recipe, Easy Chicken Biryani Recipes, Seeraga Samaba Biryani recipes