Friday, May 23, 2014

Sweet Potato Cutlet | Sweet Potato Patty | Sarkaraivalli Kizhangu Cutlet

Sweet Potato Cutlet | Sweet Potato Patty | Sarkaraivalli Kizhangu Cutlet is a healthy snack prepared with sweet potatoes in combination with some spice powders. The sweet potatoes are packed with vitamins, minerals, dietary fibre, beta carotene, etc. So it is a healthy vegetable which can be included in our regular diet.

My husband  and I like to have these boiled potatoes for morning breakfast but my son never likes them that way. So I used to play around with sweet potatoes, coming out with new dishes to make him eat by hiding it in the dishes which he likes the most. I’ll post the other recipes in due course. I’ve already posted the recipe for  Sweet Potato Gulab Jamun  and I’ve got good feedback from my friends too!
My son’s vacation started only 3 days before and he wanted to have some finger food for the evening snack. I don’t like to order anything from outside since summer has peaked up in Chennai. So I wanted to make something on my own but I didn’t want to spend too much time in the kitchen. Suddenly I got an idea of making these yummy cutlets for him.  Once the potatoes are ready, it took only about 15 minutes for the end product. The sweetness of this veggie when combined with little spice and tangy with a dip of tomato sauce…mmm… it tastes heavenly J! We enjoyed a lot..
Ingredients:
  • Sweet potatoes (medium) – 2 Nos.
  • Green chilli (finely chopped) – 1 No.
  • Onion (finely chopped) – 2 tbsp
  • Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
  • Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
  • Turmeric powder – a pinch
  • Cilantro | Coriander leaves (finely chopped) – 2 tbsp
  • Corn flour – 2 to 3 tbsp
  • Salt to taste
  • Oil for shallow frying


Method:
  1. Wash and pressure cook the sweet potatoes. Allow them to cool.
  2. Peel off the skin and mash to a smooth paste without forming any lumps.
  3. Then add all the ingredients except oil and mix everything well.
  4. Take a portion of the mix and flatten it to get the desired shape.
  5. Continue doing the same for the entire mix.
  6. Heat oil in a non stick pan and shallow fry the cutlets on both sides until golden brown.

Your lip smacking Sweet Potato Cutlets are ready to serve! We had these cutlets with tomato sauce.
Note:
  • Don’t overcook the sweet potatoes.
  • You can add all purpose flour | maida or bread crumbs in place of corn flour.

Tags: Sweet Potato Cutlets, Shakarkandi patties recipe, Sweet Potato Recipes, Healthy Snack Recipes, Appetizer/ Starter Recipe, sakkarivalli kizhangu cutlet recipe, how to prepare cutlets using sweet potato?, Indian appetizer, Starter/Sanck recipe, Healthy cutlet recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment