Chettinad Palakottai Masala | Palakottai Thokku | Jackfruit Seed Curry | Jackfruit Seed Stir Fry is a tasty, spicy side dish and can be paired with rice as well as rotis. ‘Palakottai’ is the Tamil name for ‘Jackfruit seed’. These jackfruit seeds generally find a place in the menu during jackfruit season in Tamil Nadu & Kerala. These seeds are good alternative to potatoes as these seeds are rich in carbohydrates as well as proteins. These seeds are so versatile to make many different recipes. The hard part in this recipe is, preparing the seeds for cooking which is a bit time consuming process. Once this is over you can prepare this dish in few minutes.
I prepared lemon rice for our lunch box, few days back and to make the tangy rice interesting, I prepared this jackfruit seed masala curry. The combination really tasted divine. Try it once before the season gets over.
Recipe for Chettinad style Palakottai Masala | Jackfruit Seed Curry | Jackfruit Seed Stir Fry:
Cuisine : Indian| South Indian |Chettinad
Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
Cooking time : 15 Minutes
Serves – 4
- Palakottai | Jackfruit seed – 1 cup
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1 No.
- Garlic (crushed) – 3 pods
- Tomato ( finely chopped) – 1 No
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Coconut gratings – ¼ cup
- Pepper | Milaku – ¼ tsp
- Khus khus | Poppy seeds – ¼ tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Fennel seeds |Sombu – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves - few
- Cut the jackfruit seeds into half and remove the white coloured, thick, outer skin. Wash well with water.
- Pressure cook the seeds with enough water, salt and turmeric powder for 2 whistles.
- Once the pressure subsides, open the cooker, drain only the seeds and keep aside.
- Grind the items given “To grind” to a thick paste by adding little water. And keep aside.
- In a wide pan, heat oil and season with items given “For seasoning”.
- Then add crushed garlic and sauté till the raw smell goes off.
- To this add the finely chopped onion till it becomes golden brown.
- Add the finely chopped tomato till it becomes mushy.
- To this add the masala powders and sauté for 2 minutes.
- To this add the pressure cooked jackfruit seeds and give a good stir.
- Add the required salt for masala and ¼ cup of water. Mix everything well and cook covered for 5 minutes in simmer.
- Open the lid, add the ground paste and mix everything well. Allow to cook until everything combines well & becomes thick in consistency. Switch off.
Spicy palakottai masala curry is ready to relish with sambar, rasam or curd rice as well as with rotis.
- Allow the jackfruit seeds to dry in open air for few days. It will ease the process of removing the outer skin.
- Carefully add salt as it is already added while pressure cooking the seeds.
Tags: Jackfruit recipes, Palakottai masala recipe, Palakottai recipes, Jackfruit seeds recipe, How to use jackfruit seeds in Indian Cooking?, Chettinad style palakottai masala, How to remove the outer skin from palakottai?, How to prepare jackfruit seeds for cooking? Palakottai thokku recipe, Jackfruit seeds stir fry recipe, Jackfruit seeds poriyal recipe, Jackfruit seeds curry recipe, Kathal seeds recipes.