Read more ...
Happy Vinayaka Chathurthi to everyone…
Pineapple Stuffed Rice Dumpling | Pineapple Poorana Kolukattai was in my to-do list for a long time. For this Vinayaka Chathurthi, I had planned to post many kolukattai recipes. But everything gets end up at the planning stage itself. Somehow today I’ve pushed myself to prepare this pineapple kolukattai to post before Ganesh Chathurthi which falls on 5th September, 2016.
Coming to the recipe, we know poorana kolukattai can be made of varieties of pooranam. I like this one very much not only b’cos pineapple is my favourite fruit but the unique taste & flavour of pineapple make these dumplings, something distinctive & more delicious. In this recipe, I’ve used sugar instead of jaggery to retain the colour & flavour of pineapple.
You can check out other Kolukattai Recipes Here.
Recipe for Pineapple Stuffed Rice Dumpling | Pineapple Poorana Kolukattai:
Cuisine : Indian
Category: Festival Recipe | Snack
Preparation time : 15 Minutes
Cooking time : 20 Minutes
yields –12-15 Nos
- Rice flour – 1 cup
- Gingelly oil – 1 tbsp
- Sugar – ½ cup
- Pineapple (chopped) – 1 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
For outer dough (மேல் மாவு):
- Take a pan with 1 ½ cups of water with 1 tbsp of gingelly oil & little salt and bring it to rolling boil.
- Take a wide mouthed bowl, put the rice flour , add the boiling water slowly to the rice flour, stirring quickly with a whisk. Stop adding water when it reaches the correct consistency.
- Allow it to cool. Then knead the dough by applying some oil on your palm and keep it covered in wet cloth. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
For Filling (பூரணம்):
- In a pan, add ghee & sauté the finely chopped pineapple pieces till pineapple becomes tender.
- Add sugar and stir till both pineapple & sugar some together like a ball.
- Add cardamom powder and mix well & switch off.
- Make small balls out of rice flour dough and pineapple stuffing.
- Take a rice flour dough ball and by applying oil on hand ,flatten it to form like a small bowl (சொப்பு/கிண்ணம்). Keep the stuffing inside and cover this stuffing with the rice dough by gently stretching the edges of the dough so that the filling should get covered completely. Repeat the process for rest of the dough also.
- If you find making kozhukattai in this shape difficult, you can make it in semi circular form. Flatten the rice dough on a plastic sheet/ banana leaf greased with oil , place the stuffing at the centre, then fold the plastic sheet/banana leaf so that the kozhukattai gets folded at the centre. Seal the edges properly to ensure the stuffing does not come out.
Steam the kozhukattais for about 15 minutes and give a standing time for about 5 minutes. Delicious Pineapple Poorana Kozhukattais are ready for Pooja!!
- Be very careful while adding water to the flour because water quantity will vary depending on the quality of rice used for making flour.
- Rice flour dough should be kneaded well by applying oil so that it should be soft and pliable. Otherwise the outer layer will get cracked or sometimes, becomes hard.
- You can use jaggery instead of sugar but both colour & flavour will get changed.
- Increase or decrease sugar depending on the tartness of pineapple.
- Pineapple essence & yellow food colour can be used which are purely optional. If you add essence, then cardamom powder can be skipped..
Tags: Vinayaka Chathurthi recipes, Pillayar sathurthi festival recipes, Kolukattai recipes, How to prepare stuffed dumplings? How to use Pineapple as stuffing in kozhukattai?, Fruit poorana kolukattai recipe, Fruit stuffed rice dumplings, Annaasi pasha kolukattai recipe, Pillayar chathurthi kolukattai recipes