Egg drop curry | Broken Egg Gravy | Poached Egg Gravy |உடைத்து ஊற்றிய முட்டை குழம்பு is a famous Goan specialty dish. It is a quick curry which we can reserve for lazy Sundays. Usually, our regular egg curry with boiled eggs can also be made very quickly, but the specialty in this Egg drop curry is that it the eggs don’t need to be boiled separately. But we have to follow some steps to make it perfect! That’s all. If we learn the art of making this curry perfect, we can even make it for guests! The pet name for this curry in our family is Pothu Ooththi meaning “break” & “drop”!
Here is the recipe.
- Egg – 3 Nos.
- Shallots (finely chopped) – 3 tbsp
- Tomatoes (finely chopped) – 1 No.
- Green chilli (slitted) – 1 No.
- Garlic (crushed) – 4 pods
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Red chilli powder – 2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Tamarind – small gooseberry size
- Salt to taste
- Coconut gratings – 2 tbsp
- Pepper – 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds – ½ tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Cinnamon – 1” piece
- Fennel seeds – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves – few.
- Keep all the ingredients ready as mentioned above.
- Soak tamarind in a cup of water.
- Take a broad vessel with flat bottom, pour oil and season with the items given “For seasoning”.
- Add finely chopped onions, crushed garlic and slitted green chilli and sauté till the onion becomes brownish in colour.
- Then add tomatoes and sauté until it gets mashed well.
- Add all masala powders given above and sauté till oil leaves from the masala.
- Now add tamarind pulp extracted from the soaked tamarind and salt and bring it to a boil.
- In the mean time, grind the ingredients given for grinding by adding little water and keep it ready.
- Once the raw smell of the tamarind and masala goes off, add the ground paste.
- When the gravy is about to boil, break the egg and carefully drop the broken egg into the gravy.
- Close with a lid and cook in simmer for about 5 minutes. Open the lid and pour some gravy over the egg so that the egg will get cooked faster.
- Then close the lid and keep in fire for about 5 minutes. Once the eggs are cooked, switch off and serve.
Your spicy, tangy Egg Drop Curry is ready to serve. It can be served with hot steaming rice and rotis. Any stir fires | poriyal or vegetable kootu goes well with this gravy. Today we had the curry with Chow chow kootu and colour vadams!
- Care should be taken while dropping the broken egg into the gravy. You should lower your hand nearer to the gravy maximum possible and gently drop so that the yoke and white part of the egg remain together.
- Don’t stir the gravy once eggs are added.
- The vessel used for making this curry should be broad enough to accommodate the eggs.
- Don't overcrowd the gravy with eggs at any point of time.
Tags: Egg Drop curry, Udaithu potta muttai kuzhambu recipe, Goan special egg drop curry, Broken egg gravy, poached egg gravy, egg curry without boiling eggs, easy to make egg curry, secrets of making egg drop curry perfect, how to make egg drop curry, how to drop broken egg while making egg drop curry, poththu oothiya muttai kuzhambu