Chicken 65 is a “quick to make” starter with many interesting stories behind its origin. The 65 at the end of the name has many explanations. Some claim that this chicken dish is named after 1965 – the year it first appeared on Buhari’s menu. This trivia even features in some of the famous quiz programmes!
Today, I thought of making this dish for lunch as it had been a long time since I made this at home. I did not make this dish for a long time as we happened to go out for dinners frequently and whenever we went out, we used to consume a lot of fried foods. So I have avoided even frying appalam | vadam at home. Otherwise, I feel it is always better to prepare the fried items at home once in a while because the home-made dishes will be healthier since we use our regular masalas and not adding any harmful ingredients like food colour, ajinomotto, etc. So, I made this for 2 reasons, one for blog post and other, my son. He is a fan of Gobi 65 as well as Chicken 65 and hence he thanked the blog!
Here we go for the recipe of making Chicken 65 starter at home.
- Boneless chicken – 1/2 Kg.
- All purpose flour (Maida) – 4 tbsp
- Corn flour – 3 tbsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tbsp
- Pepper powder – ½ tsp
- Garam masala powder or chicken masala powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Thick curd – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Wash chicken in running water and cube it into desired size. Squeeze out the water completely from the chicken pieces and keep it aside.
- Take a large bowl, mix all the above ingredients given above except oil. To this add chicken pieces and mix everything well. Mix until all the chicken pieces get coated with the marinade. Allow to stand for about 30 minutes.
- Heat a deep bottomed kadai, pour required oil for deep frying. When oil is heated, take out the marinated chicken pieces and spread one by one in the oil.
- Cook in medium flame, after some time when you find the bottom layer got cooked, turn to other side and cook until done on all sides.
- Continue the process for rest of the batch.
Your hot, spicy, juicy Chicken 65 is ready to serve. It can be served as a starter or as a side dish for rice, pulao or rotis.
- I didn’t add any food colour in this recipe but in restaurants, they do. I got the colour as shown in the pic, so I feel that there is no need to add any colour.
- I feel the chicken breast suits the best for the recipe. You can also use chicken with bone.
- Don’t add water before adding the chicken pieces to the marinade because chicken will also leave out some water. Decide whether to sprinkle some water after mixing everything.
Tags: Chicken 65 recipe, Restaurant style chicken 65 recipe, Chicken fry, chicken breast pieces fry, Spicy chicken fry recipe, Quick starter recipe, chicken 65 dry, deep fried chicken 65. Deep fried chicken fritters, fried chicken fritters, starter recipe with chicken, quick starter recipe with chicken