Raw Jackfruit Curry | Raw Jackfruit Gravy | பலாக்காய் குருமா …I don’t know how many of you are aware that raw jackfruit can be used in our dishes as we use other veggies. The jackfruit recipes are common throughout India but very popular in Kerala, Andhra, etc. The taste and texture of young, unripe jackfruit is close to non-veg just like mushrooms. It catches the flavour of garam masala and blends with any masala we add. The vegetable need not be used only with garam masala and is also well suited for kootu or stir fry | poriyal. Whatever may be the dish you prepare with this jackfruit, the success of the dish purely depends on the type | selection of jackfruit! You must be lucky enough to get the jackfruit at the right stage i.e before the seeds get formed inside.
The raw jackfruit I’m using is from my hometown. I’ll try to post as many recipes as I can with the available raw jackfruit. We are lucky to have a tree from which we get jackfruit that tastes great both for veg & fruit. Here is the recipe for Raw Jackfruit Curry!
- Raw Jackfruit – ½ No. (small)
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1 No.
- Tomatoes (finely chopped) – 2 Nos.
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tbsp
- Corinader powder – 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Coconut gratings – 2 tbsp
- Fennel seed – ½ tsp
- Khus Khus – ½ tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Cinnamon – 1” piece
- Fennel seeds – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Preparation of raw jackfruit for making it ready to cook is a time consuming job but it is worth doing when you enjoy the dish with this veggie.
- Peel the skin and by applying oil on both hands cut it into bite-sized pieces. Transfer the pieces to a bowl of water as we do for raw banana. This prevents the jackfruit pieces from darkening.
- Pressure cook the jackfruit pieces by adding salt, turmeric powder and enough water for about 3 to 4 whistles.
- Allow the pressure to release, open the cooker and drain out the pieces and discard the water.
- In a kadai, heat oil and season with items given “For seasoning”.
- Then add onion and sauté until golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and wait till the raw smell goes off.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes and mash well. Add all masala powders and sauté till the raw smell of masala goes off.
- Add the drained jackfruit pieces and combine everything. Then add a cup of water & salt and bring it to boil.
- Check if the jackfruit piece has absorbed the masala & salt. If not, cook for some more time in simmer.
- Finally add the ground coconut paste and allow to cook for about 10 minutes. Switch off and garnish with coriander leaves & serve.
Tasty Raw Jackfruit Curry is ready to serve. It tastes good with all rice varieties as well as for tiffin items. My personal option is for hot steamed rice with appalam & any stir fry| poriyal!
- Carefully add salt in the gravy because salt is already added while pressure cooking the jackfruit pieces.
Tags: Raw Jackfruit Curry, Palaakkai kuruma, Pala Pinju kurma, Kathal curry, pala moose gravy, raw jackfruit gravy, Jackfruit Recipes