Spring Onion Chapati | Scallion Chappati is a spicy chapati with the fresh flavours of spring onion. I thought of making a different dish with the left out spring onion, after preparing veg fried rice. The same time I was asked to give chapathi recipes to Malligai Magal. The outcome is spring onion chapathi | spring onion paratha. Believe me, it turned out so yummy and it has been added to our regular menu. On eating this, my husband told me it tastes like “Bing”, a famous Chinese crepe!
Here is the recipe.
For preparing dough:
- Whole wheat flour – 1 cup
- Water and salt as needed
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Maida/ All purpose flour– 3 tbsp for dusting.
- Spring onion (green part) – ¼ cup
- Paneer (grated) – ¼ cup
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Prepare the dough as I have given in “How to make soft Chapatis”
- Clean spring onion(green part alone) and wash well. Chop finely.
- Add grated paneer, red chilli powder and salt with the spring onion. Mix well and keep it aside.
- After 10 minutes, make small balls out of the dough.
- Shape the dough ball like a bowl and stuff the spring onion stuffing inside and close the stuffing with the dough.
- Gently roll the stuffed dough into thin, round discs using roller pin by dusting with maida/ all purpose flour.
- Place the tawa/skillet on a stove. Let it get heated.
- Place the rolled chapati on the heated tawa, wait for bubbles to come on the surface. Flip the chapati immediately and leave it for a minute.
- Cook on both sides on high flame, flipping it now and then, till brown spots appear on the parantha & it gets cooked completely.
Your spicy, hot spring onion chapatti | paratha is ready to eat! It can be had with any sauce or raita or with plain curds.
- For kids, you can apply some butter/ghee on paratha. For elders, we can use gingelly oil and those on diet can avoid this step.
- If you find it difficult to make a stuffed paratha, you can straight away mix all the ingredients and prepare like chapatti.
Tags: soft spring onion Chapati, How to make stuffed parathas with spring onion, similar to Jian Bing recipe , spring onion recipes, Green onion Flat Indian Bread recipe, Indian unleavened flatbread with scallion, Indian flat bread recipe, soft, spicy chapathi recipe, North Indian recipe, Spring onion Parathas, Spicy Spring onion Paranthas