Semiya Payasam | Vermicelli Payasam | Semiya Kheer is a very simple yet delicious Indian dessert which can be made in no time with just a few ingredients. It finds a place in almost all marriages, functions, poojas & festivals in Tamil Nadu since it goes well with our South Indian meals. In marriges, payasam is made with vermicelli and sago | javvarisi.
Today being my wedding anniversary, I had very little time but felt that I had to prepare a simple sweet at home. In a stroke of inspiration, I decided to make this payasam and here it is!
- Semiya |Vermicelli – ½ cup
- Milk – 4 cups
- Sugar – ½ cup
- Nuts of your choice (I have used cashew nuts,pista & almonds)
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Coconut milk – ½ cup (optional)
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- In a heavy bottomed kadai, add ghee and fry nuts till golden brown. Drain them and keep aside.
- In the same kadai, add vermicelli and fry in simmer till it becomes golden brown and remove.
- Boil milk in a sauce pan till it becomes ¾ th in measurement.
- Then add vermicelli and cook till it gets cooked well.
- Then add sugar and blend everything well and keep in fire for about 3 minutes.
- Finally add cardamom powder, coconut milk and fried nuts. Stir well and remove from fire.
Your delicious Semiya Kheer is ready to serve! You can have it either cold or hot as per your choice. I love to have in both ways... when having hot, i enjoy with appalam and for cold? As such it is yummy..summer special!
- The payasam will become thick as time goes by or when it is cold. So better to switch off when it is slightly watery. Otherwise, you can have a stock of hot milk which could be added while serving by adding sugar proportionately.
- Sugar quantity can be changed as per your taste.
Tags:Semiya payasam recipe, Semiya kheer , Indian dessert with vermicelli, Easy payasam recipes, Vermicelli payasam recipe, Vermicelli kheer recipe, South Indian payasam, How to prepare payasam with semiya?, Indian kheer varieties, How to prepare easy payasam?