Mangai Sadam | Raw Mango Rice | Mamidikaya Annam is one of the variety rice which can be prepared in few seconds provided that raw mango is available at home. This is the dish which should be enjoyed during mango season. My mom & grandma didn’t have the practice of making rice using raw mango. I had this mango rice for the first time at my SIL place when I was pregnant and I could remember that taste even now. From then, I used to make this rice during mango season. It has been a practice in Tamil Nadu to prepare this rice as one of the variety rice made during Bangle Ceremony (Valai Kaappu) conducted for pregnant ladies if it falls during mango season since the tangy taste of raw mango tastes good to them.
I didn’t make this rice since the start of mango season this year. I thought of making this rice today since Ugadhi (Telugu New Year) is nearing. On Ugadi, it has been a practice followed by people of Andhra Pradesh to prepare dishes with the fresh produce of mango like raw mango rice (Mamidikaya Annam), mangai pachadi, etc.
Here is the recipe.
- Raw Mango (grated) – 1 cup
- Cooked rice – 2 cups
- Green chillies (slitted) – 2 to 3 Nos.
- Ginger (finely chopped) – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Gingelly oil – 2tbsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Channa dhal (Kadalai Paruppu) – 3 tbsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Curry leaves – few
- Wash, peel the skin of raw mango and grate. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai and season with the items given “For seasoning”.
- Add ginger and green chillies, sauté till you get nice aroma of ginger.
- Add turmeric powder and mango gratings. Sauté well till the raw smell of mango goes off and gets shrunk to half the quantity. Switch off.
- Add required salt and cooked rice to the mango seasoning. Mix everything well.
Your tangy Raw Mango Rice is ready to serve. You can serve this rice with any gravy or fry, chips or pappads. Today we had this rice with Baby Potato Fry and it tasted yumm…
- I have used Ponni boiled rice but you can use raw rice or even left over rice too. Only thing is rice should not be sticky.
- I didn’t add ground nuts since my son doesn’t like. You can add any nuts of your choice.
Tags: Raw mango rice recipe, Mangai saadham, Left over recipes, Variety rice, Lunch Box recipes, Ugadhi Recipes, Festival recipes, Telugu New Year recipe, variety rice with raw mango, Variety rice with mangai, Quick lunch box recipes, Valai kaappu recipes, green mango rice recipe, Mamidikaya Annam