Friday, February 13, 2015

Product Review for Eastern Condiments

I was really surprised when I got a message from Mr.Shylesh asking for unbiased review for some of  the products of  Eastern Condiments P Ltd. I gave a thought about it for quite some time. But what on earth will make foodies like us be happy other than tasting different flavours? In addition, I am being backed up with the best food critics, my son & my hub J...So I decided to take up that assignment. Few weeks ago, I’ve received a pack containing masala powders for Chicken Fry, Rajma Masala & Kuzhambu Masala form Eastern. It has taken such a long time to use their products and prepare a write-up since I got held up with so many other important works.

Now a days I’m  seeing many ready made masala powders lined up in the departmental stores at Chennai but I used to buy a very few which either would take a very long time for preparation or yield a large quantity that may take a long time to be consumed by a tiny family like us. I choose those few too from the same brand which I’ve been using them for many years. All other masala powders would be from my own kitchen. Frankly speaking I never tried any of the Eastern Masala products before even though they are in the industry for so many years. I think they have not concentrated much on the Tamil Nadu market when I started buying ready made masala. On going through their website I came to know that they are very famous in the Middle Eastern countries as well as USA. When I enquired some of my relatives and friends abroad, they told me so many of their products dominate the shelf space there.  So I’m lucky to try their products now.


First I tried their Chicken Fry masala as per the ‘majority votes’ I got.

I have never made chicken fry so quickly in my whole life. The only work involved is just cleaning the chicken and then marinate with the Eastern spice powder for half an hour. That’s it. You are ready to go. Fry in oil, drain, serve hot and enjoy with your family as a snack or side. It is as simple as that.

The masala powder is well balanced, that is, the spice and flavours are not overpowering. It is just like what we prepare at home, except for the salt. In the recipe, they have not mentioned about adding salt, as they have listed it in their ingredients list. But I found that the salt was totally missing in their masala and I’ve added it. Thank God that I’ve checked while marinating the chicken itself. My suggestion is to check out this salt part in their spice powder and mention about adding salt in the recipe on their masala packet.

On the whole as I said, it is like our home made masala, anyone can go for Eastern Chicken Fry Masala without any second thought. My biggest worry about ready made masala powders is about the food colour but in this I don’t find any in the ingredient list, may be Kashmiri chilli powder added gives the perfect colour. I recommend this spice powder for all those new cooks as well as those experienced who want to make some add on to their spread during busy days, parties, holidays, etc since it is just like frying pappads. This same spice powder can also be added for making vegetarian dishes like Gobi fry, Paneer fry, etc.

My rating for Chicken Fry Masala is  9/10

Next comes Kuzhambu Masala:
For using kuzhambu masala, I’ve prepared Vendaikkai Puli Kuzhambu and it was so yum & finger licking good. Since I’m good in making this vendaikkai puli kuzhambu, everyone who happen to taste my food is familiar with the taste of mine. Even when I specifically asked about any taste difference,  nobody could find out that I’ve used some other masala. I’ve checked with my friend at office and she could not notice any difference. Honestly I should say this is a home made masala which everyone prefers. 

Eastern have suggested this kuzhambu masala for so many kuzhambu varieties but I recommend this for all tamarind based curry like Puli kuzhambu. Vatha kuzhambu, milaku kuzhambu, Meen kuzhambu, Muttai kuzhambu, etc. My next try would be Meen kuzhamabu with the remaining Eastern kuzhambu masala powder.

My rating for this Eastern Kuzhambu Masala is 10/10.

Finally I made Rajma Masala yesterday for chapatti.
I have followed the procedure given on their packet to make Rajma Masala. In their Rajma Masala, garam masala powder dominates. On the whole masala flavour overpowers everything which I believe, will not be liked by many. The  colour of Rajma Masala powder is also not appealing, but I’m not for any artificial colour, for sure. May be the colours of cloves, cinnamon powder & others supersede the colour of chilli.  I recommend to use their rajma masala, a little along with chilli powder to make the curry perfect.

My rating for this Rajma masala is 7/10.

Note: This is an unbiased review which is purely based on my own taste & preference.

Tags: Product Review, Eastern Condiments P Ltd, Eastern products review, Eastern masala products review, Eastern Ready made masala powders, Eastern ready made masala products review, Eastren chicken fry product review, Eastern Kuzhambu Masala product review , Eastern Rajma Masala product review


No comments:

Post a Comment