Puffed Phool Makhana | Roasted Fox Nuts | Popped Lotus Seeds is a healthy snack to munch on with hot tea without any guilt since it is very low in calories. The lotus seeds are the seeds of lotus plant, as the name says and the plant normally grows in wet lands. These seeds are very popular in North India and in some of the Asian countries. In Northen India, these seeds are used to prepare recipes on vrat | fasting days just like sabhudhana | javvarisi is used. These seeds are rich in all essential nutrients, vitamins, minerals & antioxidants. Hence it can be consumed by people of all age groups and gender.
The lotus seeds are versatile to use in any of our Indian recipes for making kheer, curry, etc and can be fried just like our popcorn. It is a popular street food in Northen India just as we see popcorn everywhere in southern part. But in taste as well as nutrition point of view, the puffed makhana are better than popcorn. Hence whenever you get a chance, buy a pack and try this simple recipe which will take hardly 10 minutes…
- Phool makhana | Lotus seeds – 200 gms
- Oil | butter – 1 tbsp
- Red chilli powder – ¼ tsp
- Pepper powder – ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste.
- In a thick bottomed, broad kadai, add oil or butter and heat.
- To this add makhana and stir now and then.
- When the makhana gets heated up, it will become almost double in size.
- Keep on stirring till you get a fluffy, crunchy seeds.
- Finally add all the spice powders, switch off & mix well.
- Allow to cool and store in an air tight container.
Enjoy when you feel like munching a snack with your hot cup of tea…
- Adjust the quantity of spice powders as per your taste.
- Normally 10 minutes of frying is enough to get a crunchy makhana but check before adding spice powders since some may take a longer time.
Tags: Roasted phool makhana recipe, How to prepare crunchy makhana at home?, Puffed lotus seeds recipe, Popped foxnuts, Vrat recipes with foxnuts, Pooja recipes using makhana, Roasted foxnuts, Roasted gorgon nuts,