Karthigai pori is a traditional sweet dish made with ‘Nel Pori’ and jaggery. It is a practice to offer Pori to God on some special occasions, poojas, etc, in Tamil Nadu and Kerala But Karthigai Pori is a special Neivedyam (நைவேத்யம்) usually made on Thiru Karthigai Deepam festival. Nel pori is nothing but puffed paddy and is specially prepared by the Pori vendors during the month of “Kiruthigai”. Almost all the shops will have a stock of it since people buy it to make a sweet to offer Lord Muruga.
Karthigai Pori Urundai, Nel pori Urundai, Karthigai Appam, etc, are also made on this Karthigai festival. The traditional recipe for “Karthigai Pori” calls for a simple recipe and does not involve the complicated procedure of preparing this sweet in the form of balls. In fact, it gets a different name if made in the form of balls i.e. Karthigai Pori Urundai. It is very simple to make but delicious to eat since the pori is combined with jaggery, coconut and porikadalai with the flavour of cardamom and ginger powder. This recipe is not only for Deepam festival but can also be prepared as a healthy snack for kids coming home from school.
- Nel pori – 2 cups
- Roasted gram (Porikadalai/Pottukkadalai) – ½ cup
- Coconut (cut into small pieces) – ½ cup
- Jaggery (Pagu vellam)-1/4 cup
- Water – 3 tbsp
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Dry ginger powder – 1 tsp
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Clean the Pori by spreading it on a big plate (தாம்பாளத் தட்டு) and picking out paddy skin and stones. Keep the cleaned pori aside.
- In a kadai, add ghee and fry the coconut pieces till you get aroma and keep it aside.
- In a wide mouthed kadai, melt jaggery in water until the jaggery syrup forms a soft ball consistency.
- Now add fried coconut, roasted gram, cardamom and dry ginger powder and mix well.
- Switch off the fire and add pori to this mixture and mix everything well.
- Transfer this mixture to a bowl and offer to Lord Karthikeya along with other Bhakshanams!
- You can also try to make Pori Urundai following the same recipe by dusting your hands with rice flour when the mixture is hot!
- Pori kadalai/Pottukadalai added in this mixture should be crispy.
- The quantity of coconut and Pori kadalai can be varied as per our choice/ availability.
Tags: Karthigai Deepam Recipe, Nel Pori Urundai recipe, Aval pori urundai recipe, Kathigai Pori recipe, Traditional recipe for Karthigai Deepam, Traditional Karthigai Pori recipe, Karthigai Pori sweet recipe, Thiru Karthigai Deepam recipes, How to make Karthigai Pori at home?, How to prepare Karthigai Pori?