I am really happy to know that my friends and followers are very health conscious. Now, how would I have gotten to know about that? Your viewership has spoken and I got the maximum page hits for “Karuveppilai Rice/ Curry Leaves Rice” which I had posted earlier. It continues to remains at top even now. Thus, I decided to come up with one another recipe using Curry Leaves. Of course, we all know about the health benefits of curry leaves. By preparing gravy or rice using these leaves, we can include a good amount of these leaves in our diet.
Karuveppilai Kuzhambu/ Curry Leaves Gravy has many versions and the mostly followed recipe is a tamarind-based gravy. I will post those methods later. Today, the recipe I have given here is my grandma’s method. This gravy is fully packed with the unique flavor of curry leaves. Everyone will definitely love this gravy to have with hot, steaming rice with a bite of appalam. This is enough to have a satisfying meal.
To fry & grind:
- Curry leaves – 1 cup
- Shallots – 5 to 6 Nos
- Garlic – 6 pods
- Red chillies – 5 Nos
- Grated coconut – 3 tbsp
- Tomato – 1 No (Medium)
- Tamarind – small pod (optional)
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard- 1 tsp
- Jeera – 1 tsp
- Red chilli – 1 No.
- Shallots (finely chopped) -5 Nos
- Curry leaves – few
- Tomato (finely chopped) – 1 No. (Small)
- In a tablespoon of oil in a kadai, add chillies first and then shallots and garlic and fry for a while.
- To this add tomato and then fry the curry leaves.
- Add grated coconut, fry for 3 minutes. Add tamarind.
- Allow the contents to cool. Transfer the contents to a mixie jar and grind it to a fine paste.
- In a kadai, pour oil and season with mustard, jeera, red chilli and curry leaves.
- Add shallots and fry for a while, then add tomato and fry until the tomato becomes soft.
- Finally add the ground paste, add required water and salt and bring it to a boil. The gravy consistency should be thick like thokku.
Switch off and serve this Karuveppilai Kuzhambu with hot, steaming rice and appalam! You can serve any poriyal with this gravy but don’t forget to have this with appalam. This kuzhanmbu can also be served for idli and dosa as a chutney / dip.
- Wash curry leaves thoroughly in water and allow the water to drain completely before frying these leaves.
Tags: Karuveppilai Kuzhambu, curry leaves kuzhambu, karuveppilai kuzhambu for rice, Karuveppilai Kuzhambu for rice, kariveppilai kuzhambu, kariveppilai gravy for rice, idli, dosa, How to make curry leaves gravy? How to make Curry leaves gravy with fresh Karuveppilai? How to prepare Kuzhambu with fresh curry leaves? Kuzhambu with fresh curry leaves, Gravy with fresh Karuveppilai