Karunai Kizhangu Kuzhambu | Pidikarunai Puli Kuzhambu | Yam Tamarind Curry is a tasty, tamarind based gravy and a specialty of Chettinad cuisine which can be prepared using pidi karunai kizhangu. As I have mentioned in my earlier post for Pidi Karunai Masiyal, this tuber can be used for preparing this gravy which goes well with hot steamed rice and roasted papad (sutta appalam) The recipe, I have followed here is also a simple one and can be made with no effort!
- Pidi karunai kizhangu (Medium) – 2 Nos
- Shallots (cut into 2) – 10 Nos
- Garlic – 5 pods
- Green chillies (slitted) – 2 Nos
- Tomato ( finely chopped) – 1 No.
- Red chilli powder – 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 1tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Tamarind – gooseberry size
- Salt to taste
- Sesame Oil | Gingelly oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds | Vendhayam – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Wash and pressure cook karunai kizhangu. Wait till the pressure goes off.
- Allow it to cool & peel off the skin. Cut into ¼” thick discs.
- In the mean time, soak tamarind in a cup of water and keep the other ingredients ready.
- In a kadai, heat oil and season with the items given under “For Seasoning”.
- Add shallots, garlic and green chillies and sauté till the onion becomes translucent.
- Add finely chopped tomato and sauté till it becomes mushy.
- Then add all the spice powders and sauté till the raw smell of the masala goes off.
- Add karunai kizhangu pieces and gently mix everything with the masala without breaking the kizhangu pieces.
- Finally add tamarind juice & required salt and bring it to boil.
- Check for salt, spice and consistency of the gravy and add more if needed.
- Cook in simmer with the lid covered for about 10 minutes.
Spicy, tasty Pidikarunai Kizhangu Puli Kuzhambu is ready to serve. It goes well with steamed rice and veg kootu, sutta appalam, keerai masiyal are the best combinations! For curd rice, pidi karunai kizhangu with little gravy is enough to have a finger licking meal!!!
- I like the gravy in thick consistency as shown in the pic. You can adjust as per your choice.
Tags: Karunai kizhangu puli kuzhambu, Chettinad karunai kizhangu kuzhambu recipe, Chettinad recipes, Karunai Kizhangu recipes, Pidi karunai recipes, Yam recipes, Yam tamarind curry recipe, Karunai Kizhangu tamarind curry recipe, Chettinad kuzhambu recipes, Simple Kuzhambu recipes, Easy kuzhambu recipes