Chettinad Style Beetroot Masala… another interesting recipe which can be made with beetroot instead of our regular stir fries. It is very easy and simple to prepare with minimal ingredients. It tastes delicious with rice and sambar /rasam/ curd and can even be had with rotis!
- Beetroot – ¼ Kg
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1 No.
- Garlic (crushed) - 2 pods
- Tomato (finely chopped) – 1 No.
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Coconut gratings – 2 tbsp
- Khus khus – ½ tsp
- Oil – 1tbsp
- Fennel seeds – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Peel the skin from the beetroot, wash and dice it into small cubes.
- Grind the items given “To grind” to a fine paste by adding little water and keep aside.
- In a kadai, pour oil, season with the items given “For seasoning”.
- Add finely chopped onion and garlic till the onion becomes glossy in texture.
- Then add tomato and sauté till it becomes soft.
- Add beetroot, red chilli powder and turmeric powder, give a stir and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Then add ½ cup of water, mix everything and cook in medium flame with a lid closed.
- Open the lid after 3 minutes, add required salt and mix well.
- After a minute, add the ground paste and cook till the excess water from the masala gets evaporated completely and the masala gets coated well with all beetroot cubes.
Yummy Beetroot Masala is ready to serve with hot steaming rice. I always prefer to have this masala with sambar rice.
- Beetroot should not get over cooked, then it will spoil the taste of masala.
- Coconut added should also be minimum just enough to coat the beetroot.
Tags: Chettinad style beetroot masala recipe, Chettinad vegetable masala recipe, side dish with beetroot for rice, Masala Beetroot recipe, Beetroot with coconut masala, spicy beetroot masala recipe, Masala beetroot sabji