Green peas…green peas everywhere in Chennai. During this season (Dec-Feb), green peas are available fresh and aplenty. These green pearls in fresh pea pods are a real gift for peas lovers and making it more enticing is the fact that it is available so cheaply during this time. I always buy this in bulk during this time since my son likes many dishes made with green peas. Only when my back aches while removing these peas from the pods, I realize that I have bought more than enough!
These green peas always make a guest appearance in many dishes- by simply adding a handful, we can add instant eye candy to any dish. Kids also love to have some of these sprinkled over pulao, biryani, kitchadi, upma… oh I left out an important dish, Noooodles! So I think every refrigerator in any home will have a stock of frozen peas even during non-season times. Since the fresh ones are available in abundance now, we can prepare many dishes with these peas and enjoy!
Today, I prepared Green Peas Masala | Mattar Masala for my son’s lunch box and on seeing me packing chapathi and Peas Masala, he went with a broad smile JJ.
Here comes the recipe for Peas Masala!
- Green peas – 1 cup
- Onion (finely chopped) – ½ cup
- Tomatoes (finely chopped) – ½ cup
- Ginger-garlic paste – ½ tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder – ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Curd – 1 tbsp
- Cilantro or coriander leaves ( finely chopped) – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds or jeera – 1 tsp
- Wash the green peas thoroughly in running water and chop the ingredients specified and keep everything ready.
- Cook the green peas with ½ cup of water and salt till the peas are done. It may take some 5 minutes to cook the peas.
- In a non stick pan, pour oil and season with jeera.
- Add finely chopped onion and sauté till it becomes golden brown in colour. Then add ginger-garlic paste till the raw smell of the paste goes off.
- Then add tomatoes and sauté well. Now add all masala powders and sauté till everything gets mixed well and the raw smell of the masala goes off. Now add curd and wait till the masala becomes glossy.
- Now add the cooked green peas along with the water added to cook the peas and stir well. Add required salt, add water if you need any, close it with a lid and cook till the peas absorb the masala.
- Finally add coriander leaves,mix well, check for the gravy consistency and switch off.
Your yummy Green Peas Masala | Mattar masala is ready to be served with chapathi, roti or any rice varieties.
- Carefully add salt at step(6), since we have already added salt while cooking green peas.
- You can add tomato puree instead of cut tomatoes.
Tags: Green peas masala recipe, Simple masala recipe with green peas, Mattar Masala recipe, Mattar masala recipe for roti, side dish for chapathi/roti with green peas, how to make matar masala for roti?, matar masala, simple matar masala recipe, side dish for roti/chapathi