Chettinad Crab Masala | Chettinadu Nandu Masala | செட்டிநாடு நண்டு மசாலா | Nandu Pepper Masala is a peppery gravy and is very good for those suffering from cold. This spicy gravy can be served with steamed rice, idli or dosa. Ofcourse, eating a crab with its shell needs some skills and those with experience can win the show. But if you haven’t eaten crabs this way before, you need not panic on seeing the hard shells as it will be easy to break. The yummy flesh inside is worth all the trouble. Whenever we eat non-vegetarian dishes, we feel full for the entire day but crab dishes will increase our metabolic fire and so, we feel hungry after an hour.
Usually crabs will be fleshier during no moon day and it is good to plan for this recipe during that period. Very interesting gravy, every crab lover should try out this recipe!
Here we go for the recipe.
- Crab – ½ Kg
- Big onion (finely chopped) – 1 No.
- Tomato (finely chopped) – 2 to 3 Nos
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Coconut – ½ cup
- Green chillies – 2 to 3 Nos
- Pepper – 1 tbsp
- Garlic – 15 pods
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Khus khus – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Cinnamon – 1” stick
- Kal paasi – small piece
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Clean crab by removing the shell and wash it thoroughly in running water. Cut in halves or quarters depending on the size of the crab.
- Grind all the ingredients given under “To grind” by adding little water, into a thick paste.
- In a wide bottomed kadai, pour oil and season with the ingredients given “For seasoning”.
- Add onion and fry till it becomes golden brown colour. Then add tomatoes and sauté until they get mashed well.
- Now add the ground masala and sauté for 2 minutes, then add crab and sauté until the masala gets coated well over the crab. Add turmeric powder, salt and a cup of water. Close it with a lid and cook until done by stirring in between. It will take 15 to 20 minutes to cook.
The spicy, peppery crab masala | chettinad Crab Masala is ready to eat! Today I have prepared Nandu Masala with Koduva Meen Fry and had a great lunch today!
- The quantity of chillies added should be decided based on one’s spice level and also the spiciness of the chillies.
Tags: Nandu masala recipe, Chettinadu style nandu masala, crab masala recipe, how to prepare crab masala in Chettinad style?, nandu pepper masala, crab pepper gravy, peppery crab masala