Mixed vegetable chutney can be prepared very easily with leftover veggies. But the secret in making yummy chutney lies in selecting specific combination of vegetables in specific proportions. We can add those vegetables which our kids normally don’t like to eat but the challenge is to hide those flavours so that your kids don’t find out the ingredients you have added. So it is purely in our hands to prepare either a chutney or a medicine! It is always better to follow some tested proportions while making vegetable chutney.
Today, I have tested the chutney with capsicum, cabbage & spring onion and this spicy chutney tasted great with hot idlis. Immediately, I want to share the recipe for the same so that you can also enjoy!
- Cabbage ( finely chopeed) – ¼ cup
- Capsicum (finely chopped)– ¼ cup
- Spring onion (green part- chopped) – ¼ cup
- Spring onion (bulbs & white part) – ¼ cup
- Tomato (chopped ) – ¼ cup
- Red chillies – 3 Nos
- Green chillies – 2 Nos
- Coconut (grated) – 2 tbsp
- Tamarind – 2 pods
- Gingelly oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Urad dhal – 2 tbsp
- Asafoetida - ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- In a kadai, pour gingelly oil and temper with mustard and urad dhal.
- When urad becomes golden brown, add red chillies, green chillies and asafoetida and sauté well.
- Add spring onion bulbs and sauté well.
- Add finely chopped cabbage and sauté till the raw smell of cabbage goes off and colour of the cabbage turns to light brown.
- Then add capsicum and sauté until the raw smell of capsicum goes off.
- Add tomatoes and sauté till the skin of the tomatoes get wilted.
- Then add coconut and spring onion(green part) and sauté well till you get a nice aroma.
- Allow the contents to cool.
- Grind the ingredients along with salt and tamarind and transfer the contents to a serving bowl.
Your spicy, capsicum-cabbage chutney is ready to be served with hot steaming idlies or crispy dosas! You can also have this chutney for sambar rice, curd rice, etc.
- Normally I don’t do tempering once again. If you want, you can temper with mustard and curry leaves in a tsp of oil.
Tags: Vegetable chutney, How to prepare chutney using vegetables?, Mixed vegetable chutney recipe, Left over veggies chutney, How to use left over veggies for making chutney?, Side dish for idli/dosa, Chutney recipe for hot idlies, spicy chutney recipe for idli/dosa, Capsicum-cabbage-spring onion chutney recipe