Karuveppilai Rice/ Karuveppilai Sadam is one of the rice variety we can make with curry leaves. Karuveppilai or curry leaves is a nutrient dense herb, which has many medicinal values. This ingredient is a must for the most of South Indian recipes like Sambar, Rasam, Poriyal, Kootu, etc which will never get completed without these leaves. These leaves add flavor and taste to all the dishes and so it is used mainly for seasoning. But most of us throw it away while eating and when we use these leaves for making rice, there is no possibility of avoiding these curry leaves. So, this Karuveppilai rice/ Karuveppilai Sadam is a better way to include this herb in our regular diet to get the benefits of this ingredient.
- Cooked rice – 1 ½ cup
To roast & Grind:
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 cup
- Jeera – 1 tsp
- Red chillies – 4 Nos.
- Dhaniya – 1 tbsp
- Toor dhal – 1 tbsp
- Pepper corns – ½ tsp
- Grated coconut – 2 tbsp
- Tamarind – small gooseberry size
- Ghee or oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Jeera – ½ tsp
- Red chilli – 1 No.
- Hing – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Fried cashew nuts for garnishing
- First roast curry leaves in a tsp of oil till it becomes crispy without changing its colour. Remove and keep it aside.
- In the same kadai, add the balance oil and roast all the other things given under “roast and grind” except tamarind.
- Grind all the above items with tamarind and little salt to a coarse powder.
- In a pan, add ghee/oil and season the items given under “ seasoning”. Then add turmeric powder and the curry leaves powder and sauté for few seconds.
- Now add the cooked rice and required salt and give a nice stir so that everything gets mixed well.
- Garnish it with fried cashew nuts.
Karuveppilai sadam is ready! This can be served with any vadam/papad or chips. This is an ideal lunch box recipe. Kids will love to have this because of its lovely green colour. Try it & enjoy!!
Care should be taken while grinding curry leaves, otherwise the green colour will be lost.
Technorati Tags: Kariveppilai sadam, curry leaves rice recipe, how to prepare karuveppilai podi sadam, kariveppilai podi rice, curry leaves podi rice recipe, curry leaves powder rice, karuveppilai rice