Senai Kizhangu Fry | Elephant Yam Fry | Chettinad Chenai Kilangu Varuval is a simple fry, yet it will be an exotic accompaniment for any rice dish. As I said already in my earlier post for Pidi Karunai Masiyal, Senaikilangu is mostly known as Karunai Kizhangu in Chennai. Though there are many methods of making this fry, the recipe I’m giving here is very simple with minimum ingredients. I heard many people stay away from this tasty tuber because of its itchiness and some seem to be allergic too. But if you use this vegetable after leaving it for some days, it won’t cause irritation. It should not be used when fresh. I make this fry quite often for dhal rice, sambar rice, etc.
- Senaikilangu – 250 gms
- Red chilli powder – 2 tsp
- Oil – 2 to 3 tbsp
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt to taste
- Peel the skin from senaikilangu and wash well in running water.
- Cut into thin, tiny, cubes and keep it aside.
- In a non-stick pan, heat oil and season with fennel seeds and curry leaves.
- Then add required salt and red chilli powder, give a quick stir to mix all ingredients evenly with oil.
- Immediately, add cubed senai kizhangu and mix everything well.
- Cook covered with a lid in medium fire, for about 8-10 minutes, stirring in between.
- Open the lid and fry in simmer for about 5 minutes.
Your crispy Senai Kizhangu Fry is ready to serve! It goes well with sambar, dhal, rasam or curd. I use the left over fry, if any, for evening snack?! It would be so spicy & yummy to have with a hot cup of coffee! Today I made this fry with Beans Thanni Sambar, a Chettinad special sambar!
- I didn’t add tamarind juice in this recipe. If you have a second thought about its itchiness, just add few drops of thick tamarind juice in step(4).
Tags: Senaikilangu varuval recipe, simple yam fry recipe, Elephant yam recipes, Karunaikizhangu recipes, senai kizhangu varuval recipe, simple senai varuval, how to make simple fry with elephant yam, Chenai Kizhangu varuval, Chettinad Chenai Kizhangu Fry, senaikilangu poriyal recipe, Vegetarian fry recipes