Mangai pachadi | Raw Mango Sweet Pachadi | Maangai Vella Pachadi is a traditional dish made for Ugadhi (Telungu New Year) as well as Tamil New Year. It is the custom/tradition followed for years to incorporate all six tastes on the New Year Day to symbolize how life is made of ups and downs, joys & sorrows, etc. The raw mango has the characteristic sourness & a slight thuvarpu (துவர்ப்பு) taste by nature. While making this pachadi , jaggery (sweet), green chillies (spice) and of course, a pinch of salt is added. To complete the arusuvai (6 tastes), a bit of neem flower (bitter) is added.Even if we can’t do so many dishes on the New Year Day, we can go for this pachadi and fulfil the custom followed on the New Year Day!
Here we go for the recipe!
- Raw mango – 1 No. (cut pieces measures about 1 ½ cup)
- Jaggery –3/4 cup
- Salt – a pinch
- Neem flowers – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Jeera – ½ tsp
- Green chillies(slitted) – 2 Nos
- Wash and peel the skin of the mango. Cut into medium size cubes and keep aside.
- Melt jaggery in ½ cup of water and strain the impurities.
- In a heavy bottomed kadai, heat oil and season with the items given “For seasoning”.
- Then add cut mango pieces & pinch of salt and sauté well. Pour ½ cup of water and cook covered for about 5 minutes.
- Open the lid and ensure that the mango pieces get cooked well.
- Now add jaggery syrup and mix everything well. Slightly mash the mango pieces.
- When the mixture becomes glossy and attains a jam-like consistency, add neem flowers & switch off. Transfer the contents to a serving bowl.
Yummy Mangai Vella Pachadi is ready to serve! Normally this dish is meant for side dish with sambar rice or curd rice. But it can also be served as a spread for breads and a dip for starters, a side dish for idli, dosa or for any Indian bread! You can also have it as a side dish for rice.
- This can be refrigerated for about 2 weeks and enjoy this dish as you wish! J
- I have used dried neem flowers. Fresh ones can also be added.
- You can adjust the quantity of jaggery and neem flowers as per your taste.
Tags: Raw Mango Pachadi recipe, Tamil New Year Recipes, Mangai vella pachadi, Raw Mango recipes, Mango sweet pachadi recipe, Mangai & vella pchadi, Managi pachadi with jaggery, How to make raw mango pachadi with jaggery?, Pachadi with 6 tastes, Raw mango & Neem flower Sweet pachadi