Kanchipuram Rava Upma | Kanjivaram Upma | காஞ்சிபுரம் உப்புமா is another variety of making breakfast with semolina | rava. My grandma used to make it very often and this recipe has already been published in Malligai Magal magazine and posted in my Tamil Blog “Rani’s Arusuvai Virundhu”. This is slightly different from our regular upma and it tastes different with the addition of more ingredients as we do for “Kanjipuram Idli”. I am sure you can add this as a variety in your breakfast list.
- Semolina | Rava – 1 cup
- Water – 2 ½ cups
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1 No.
- Green chillies (slitted into 4) – 3 Nos
- Ginger (finely chopped) – ½ “ piece
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Coconut gratings – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Ghee – ½ tsp
- Mustard – ½ tsp
- Bengal gram dhal (Kadalai Paruppu) – 1 tbsp
- Pepper – ½ tsp
- Jeera | Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Cashew nuts – 5 No.
- Curry leaves – few
- Dry roast the rava in a kadai in simmer until you get a nice aroma and keep it aside.
- In a heavy bottomed kadai or Non-stick pan, pour oil and season the items given one by one “for seasoning”.
- Add onion and sauté till it becomes translucent.
- Then add ginger & green chillies and sauté for a minute.
- Then add turmeric powder & coconut gratings and sauté for a while.
- Add water & required salt and bring it to rolling boil.
- Then add roasted rava and cook in high flame until the upma thickens.
- Mix well, simmer the flame and cook for about 5 minutes stirring now & then.
- Finally add ghee and cook until you get the upma consistency.
Yummy Kanchipuram Uppuma is ready to serve with any chutney of your choice! My vote is always for Coconut chutney!
- The water measurement I have given above will give a soft, non-sticky upma as shown in the pic
- You can increase the ghee quantity to get tastier upma J J
To view Kanchipuram Rava Upma Recipe in Tamil, click http://ranisarusuvai.blogspot.in/2014/02/blog-post.html
Tags: Rava upma recipe, Kanjipuram uppuma recipe, South Indain uppuma recipes, Easy Breakfast recipes, Rava upma varieties, How to make Kajivaram Uppuma?, recipes with semolina, Healthy breakfast recipes, Diabetic friendly recipes, high fibre diet