Panagam| Paanakam | Paanaka .... an Indian lemonade made with the goodness of lemon, jaggery, dry ginger powder and cardamom. It is a refreshing drink especially irresistible this hot summer. This tangy yet sugary drink with little spice is a real thirst quencher. That is why it has been prepared as prasadam for almost all temple festivals conducted during summer. In the temples they prepare this in large vessels called “Anda’’ which has the capacity of about 100 litres . When it is produced in mass, little tamarind juice is alos added.
This is also a special Neivedyam made for Rama Navami, to celebrate the birth of Lord Rama. Neer Mor and Kosumbari are also the other items made during this day for pooja. Today being Rama Navami, I prepared paanagam and anyone can try this on any day particularly on sweltering summer days!
- Water – 5 cups
- Jaggery (crushed) – 1 cup
- Lemon juice – 2 Nos
- Dry ginger powder – 1tbsp
- Cardamom powder – 1 tbsp
- Melt jaggery in a cup of water, let it stand for some time. Filter the impurities.
- Take a big vessel , add water, jaggery syrup, lemon juice, dry ginger powder and cardamom powder.
- Stir well with a ladle.
- Allow it to stand for an hour.
Paanagam is ready for Pooja! I have prepared this paanakam in a mud pot and I should say this is a real energy drink!
- You can increase | decrease the quantity of jaggery and lemon juice depending on your family’s taste. The measurement should be such that the sweetness should get balanced with the tanginess of lemon.
- You can use fresh ginger instead of dry ginger powder.
- You can filter once again after mixing everything.
Tags: How to prepare Paanagam at home? Paanakam recipe, Festival recipes, Rama Navami Recipes, Neivedyam for Temple Festival , Prasadham offeres during Koil Thiruvizha, Summer Festival recipes, Indian Lemonade recipe,