Preparation time :15 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Difficulty : Medium
Sambar … one of the signature dishes of South India, loved all over the world. There are many different ways of preparing sambar but we need not learn all those styles because the vegetables which we use for making sambar itself bring out different taste. Out of all vegetables, drumstick and brinjal outnumber every other vegetable and can be termed as “sambar speciality veggies”. Here we go with the recipe.
- Toor dhal – ½ cup
- Drumstick (cut into 2” long pieces) – 1 No.
- Brinjal (cut into 4 equals)– 2 Nos.
- Shallots (chopped)– 5 Nos
- Tomato (chopped) – 1 No.
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Red chilli powder – 2 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Tamarind – goose berry size soaked in ½ cup water
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Jeera – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Coriander leaves
- Pressure cook toor dhal with a pinch of turmeric & asafoetida and a ½ tsp of gingelly oil until soft.
- In a kadai, pour oil, season with mustard, jeera and fenugreek seeds. Add curry leaves, let it splutter.Add the balance asafoetida and onions, sauté till it becomes glossy.Add tomatoes, give a stir.
- Add cooked toor dhal. Add the vegetables and masala powders, close the lid and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add salt and tamarind juice, give a boil.
- Finally add coriander leaves, switch off. Close the lid , let it stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Mouthwatering, aromatic, flavourful Murungaikkai Kathirikkai sambar (முருங்கைக்காய் கத்திரிக்காய் சாம்பார்) is ready. It can be served with steamed rice along with some crispy side dish like Seppankizhangu roast or some spicy masala like Muttai thokku and appalam. It will be a great meal of the day! This sambar also tastes great with idli or crispy dosa with a dash of coconut chutney!
Standing time is very much essential for getting the complete aroma of sambar.
Tags: South Indian sambar recipe, Drumstick brinjal sambar, Murungaikkai Kathirkkai Sambar Recipe, Recipe for sambar, sambar for steamed rice, முருங்கைக்காய் கத்திரிக்காய் சாம்பார்