Sweet Aval Puttu| Sweetened Poha is a healthy, tasty sweet dish made using rice flakes as main ingredient. It is usually prepared as Neivedyam during Hindu festivals like Krishna Jayanthi, Navaratri, Aadi Velli, etc. The recipe is a simple one with minimum ingredients and even a newbie can make this as it doesn’t warrant much effort.
I’m posting this recipe today as “Sri Krishna Jayanthi|Janmashtami” is going to be celebrated on 5th Sep, 2015. This festival is observed in remembrance of Lord Krishna’s birth. Krishna is fond of aval, butter and other snack items like murukku, seedai, etc. So it is mandatory to prepare the favourites for a birthday baby on this occasion. I think we, Indian women love to celebrate this festival as we all see mischievous Lord Kanna in our children. Those who don’t have time to make all the traditional sweets|snacks can easily go for this recipe as it needs minimum time for preparation.
“Happy Gokulashtami to one & all”
Recipe for Sweet Aval Puttu| Sweetened Poha| Krishna Jayanthi Recipes:
Cuisine : Indian| South Indian
Preparation time : 10 Minutes
Cooking time : 10 Minutes
Serves – 4
- Thick aval (poha) – 1 cup
- Milk – ½ cup
- Jaggery (powdered) – ¾ cup
- Coconut gratings – ½ cup
- Cardamom Powder – 1 tsp
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Cashews – few
- Dry fry aval in a heavy bottomed kadai and powder coarsely in a mixie.
- Transfer the powdered aval to a bowl, add milk and mix well. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- In the mean time, melt jaggery with ¼ cup of water and strain the impurities.
- Heat the strained jaggery syrup so that it forms “Honey” consistency.
- Add coconut gratings to the jaggery syrup and mix well.
- After a minute, add the soaked poha & cardamom powder and mix everything well.
- Switch off , when the mixture forms a puttu consistency.
- Garnish puttu with ghee fried cashewnuts.
Krishna’s favourite aval puttu is ready for Neivedyam.
- The given measure of milk works out for thick poha. If you are using thin variety, just sprinkle little milk over the poha powder.
- You can increase the quantity of jaggery to 1 cup