Raw banana fry | Vazhaikkai varuval is a spicy, tasty side dish which goes well with sambar, rasam, curd as well as with any Variety rice. Though I prepare raw banana fry in different methods, this recipe is quite simple with minimum ingredients. This dish comes handy during busy week days. I make this varuval often and our favourite combo is vazhaikkai varuval with lemon rice.
Recipe for Raw banana fry | Vazhaikkai varuval
Cuisine : Indian| South Indian
Recipe Category – Side Dish/Vegetarian
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking time : 15-20 Minutes
Serves – 2
- Raw banana | Vazhaikkai – 1 No.
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 to 3 tbsp
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Garlic (crushed) – 4 pods
- Curry leaves – few
- Peel the skin from vazhaikkai, slit into two, cut them to thin discs and keep in water.
- In a non-stick pan, heat oil and season with fennel seeds and curry leaves.
- Add crushed garlic and sauté till it gets slightly browned.
- Then add required salt, turmeric powder and red chilli powder, give a quick stir to mix all ingredients evenly with oil.
- Immediately, add the raw banana pieces and mix everything well.
- Cook covered with a lid in medium fire, for about 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, open the lid and just turn around the pieces. Cook covered for 5 minutes.
- Open the lid and fry in simmer for about 10 minutes, gently turning the pieces in between & switch off.
Spicy Vazhaikkai Fry is ready to serve! It goes well with sambar, dhal, rasam,curd or with any Variety rice.
- Adding garlic gives a nice flavour to the recipe as well as aids digestion. If you don’t like garlic flavour, add a pinch of asafoetida.
Tags: Vazhaikkai varuval recipe, simple raw banana fry recipe, Raw banana recipes, Vazhaikkai recipes, vazhakkai varuval recipe, simple vazhai varuval, how to make simple fry with raw banana, vazhakkai fry, Chettinad vazhaikkai Fry, vazhaikkai poriyal recipe, Vegetarian fry recipes, Vazhaikkai stir fry recipe, Raw banana stir fry