Spicy Cabbage Curry | Muttaikose Pirattal | Cabbage Masala is an alternative to our regular stir fries | Priyal. At this point, I want to share few words about Pirattal. Pirattal is a famous Chettinad dish and is prepared by mixing vegetable | meat with the right combination of masala using little oil. Today I’ve chosen cabbage for making this curry. I know many don’t like the flavour of cabbage and this is the recipe for those who avoid cabbage only for its smell.
- Cabbage (shredded) – 1 cup
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1 No
- Garlic (crushed) – 3 pods
- Tomato (finely chopped) – 1 No.
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Fennel seeds – 1tsp
- Curry leaves – few.
- Shred the cabbage into slightly thick strips, wash and drain. Keep aside.
- In a kadai, pour oil and season with the items given “For seasoning”.
- Add finely chopped onion and crushed garlic till you get nice aroma of garlic.
- Add finely chopped tomato and sauté till it becomes mushy.
- Add the spice powders and sauté till the masala gets cooked well.
- Finally add cabbage and combine everything well. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes in simmer.
- Sprinkle a handful of water and cook covered in simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring in between.
- When the cabbge is 3/4th done, add the required salt and cook until done.
Spicy Muttaikose Pirattal is ready! You can serve it as a side dish for sambar, rasam and curd rice. You can even use it as a filling for wrap.
- I like cabbage to be crunchy in pirattal. If you want the veggie to be soft, add little more water and cook accordingly.
- Try to use fresh, crunchy cabbage.
Tags: Chettinad Muttaikose pirattal recipe, Chettinad Pirattal recipe, Chettinad kose pirattal, Chettinad muttakose pirattal, Chettinad recipes, Diet recipes, Spicy cabbage masala recipe, cabbage masala curry, side dish for rice, spicy cabbage curry recipe.