Vegetable Rice | Veg Masala Rice…the recipe I followed neither falls under a pulao nor a biryani variety. When you want something like biryani but not with too much of masala, this is the recipe you are looking for J. This rice is ideal for lunch box and can be enjoyed simply with any raita or chips.
Today I planned of making veg fried rice and hence I cooked basmati rice before. Then I realized I didn’t have spring onions on hand. I didn’t want to continue the fried rice without spring onions, so I followed this recipe and it turned out yummy.
- Basmati rice - 1 cup
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1 No.
- Green chilli (slitted) – 2 Nos
- Tomato (finely chopped)– 1 No.
- Garlic (finely chopped) - 1 tbsp
- Ginger (finely chopped) - 1 tbsp
- Capsicum - 1 No
- Carrot - 1 No.
- Green peas - 1/4 cup
- Red chilli powder- 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Coriander (finely chopped) – 2 tbsp
- Mint (finely chopped) – 2 tbsp
- Lemon juice – 1tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Cinnamon – 1” piece
- Clove – 2 Nos
- Cardamom – 2 Nos.
- Wash & soak basmati rice for about minimum 15 minutes.
- Cook the basmati rice with 1:2 water and salt. Spread the cooked rice in a flat bowl and drizzle some oil over it so that it will not stick.
- Cut the vegetables into thin, long pieces and keep them ready.
- In a flat bottomed non stick pan, pour oil and season with the items for seasoning.
- Sauté onion and green chillies till onion becomes golden brown in colour.
- Add finely chopped garlic, ginger and sauté till you get nice aroma.
- Add chopped coriander and mint leaves and sauté for a minute.
- Add tomato and sauté till it becomes soft.
- Finally add the vegetables and sauté for few minutes.
- Then add masala powders & salt and sauté well in oil for few minutes.
- Then add little water and cook the vegetables covered in simmer for 5 minutes.
- When the veggies get cooked well, add the cooked basmati rice & lemon juice and mix the rice gently with vegetable masala without breaking the rice. Keep covered with a lid for 5 minutes.
Your tasty Veg Masala Rice is ready to serve! It can be served with any raita or chips.
- This can be prepared with left-over rice too.
- I have used fresh peas in this recipe, if you want you can even add frozen/ dried ones.