Spicy Idli | Masala Idli is a spicy version of idli seasoned with onion, tomatoes and spice powder. It is an easy way to make our regular idlies interesting. Even people, who don’t like idlies, can hardly say “No” to this dish! It is easy to pack for lunch or even for a day out since there is no chance of getting messed up with oily stuffs like chutney | idli podi. We can even make use of left over idlies from the morning to prepare this dish and serve it hot when the kids come back from school. My son is a big fan of this dish and hence I prepare this with the fresh idlies whenever he likes to have.
- Idli – 5 Nos
- Onion (finely chopped) –1 No.
- Tomatoes (finely chopped) - 1 No.
- Red chilli powder – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Sesame oil | Gingelly oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad dhal – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - few
- Cut idlies into bite size cubes and keep aside.
- In a kadai, pour oil, season with the items given “For seasoning”.
- Add finely chopped onion till the onion becomes glossy in texture.
- Then add tomato and sauté till it gets mashed well.
- Add red chilli powder and salt required for the masala. Then add ¼ cup of water, mix everything and cook in medium flame till the masala consistency becomes thick.
- Add cubed idlies and mix well till the masala gets coated well with idli cubes. Cook in simmer for about 2 minutes & switch off.
Tasty, spicy Masala Idli is ready to serve!
- Carefully add salt i.e. only for masala because idli has salt in it.
- If you use left over idlies, wet them before cutting into cubes.
Tags: Masala Idli recipe, Left-over recipe, left-over idli recipe, Idli fry recipe, seasoned idli recipe, Lunch box recipes, Kids recipes, Easy breakfast recipes